3 Days In Norway: The Ultimate Itinerary to cover the best of Norway in a Nutshell in 3 days
Norway, one of the few hidden gems of the world, is filled with dramatic and breathtaking landscapes and fjords, Castles and museums full of history and royal feels, bustling cities with history all over it and so many amazing UNESCO world heritage sites all around, it can offer a whole package for anyone seeking all about nature, picturesque villages, scenic hiking trails or breathtaking views.
Known as the Land of The Midnight Sun, Norway has its share of long lit up days during the year where the sun never sets and also offers a chance to catch the Northern Lights which are so captivating that you never want the lights to stop shining and never in life would miss another chance to go to see them.
- Day 1: We reached Oslo and stayed at Grand Hotel, Oslo. The whole day went in exploring the city. Various places we visited were Viking Ship Museum, Akershus Fortress and Resistance Museum, City hall, The Royal Palace and Gardens and the National Theatre. Tried a few restaurants and cuisines around.
- Day 2: We boarded for the Norway in a Nutshell tour and started in Bergen Rail starting from Oslo Central Station which took us to Myrdal where we switched trains and took the Flamsbana from Myrdal to Flam. We took a night stay at Flam, a beautiful village not to be missed surrounded by the great nordic Fjords and UNESCO world heritage sites. We explored the small village and visited Flam Rail Museum, Terrace Restaurant and Aegir Brewpub. There are a number of other activities one can explore in Flam from hiking to sightseeing.
- Day 3: We continued with our Norway in a Nutshell tour and today we boarded the Fjords Cruise, from Flam till Gudvangen long which we passed through many famous sites, fords and UNESCO world heritage sites. From Gudvangen we boarded a Bus to Voss and finally from Voss to Bergen we again took a Bus to reached Bergen where we stayed the night and explored the city. We visited the famous UNESCO site of Bryggen Houses which are visible in most of the postcards and souvenirs of Bergen, walked around the Bergen Harbour, etc.
For a detailed description on the trip, things to do, places to visit, where to book the tours, restaurants to eat at (Vegetarian Friendly) click on the cities below and keep exploring!
1. Book the tour and seats in the train, bus or Cruise prior to reaching. That would save you time and help plan your day around in the various cities. Visit the visitor centers or ask the locals about the best experiences around during the time.
2. The Norway in a nutshell tour: The Norway in a Nutshell tour is a great pre-designed semi-customizable, tour that is designed to introduce the tourists through the beautiful breathtaking fjords of Norway and the UNESCO world heritage sites around Norway. The tour includes various modes of transportation from buses to trains and cruise which are offered by different companies over the region and makes it come together into one big trip. It definitely does remove the hassle of planning and booking the whole tour by yourself, but at a price to avoid this hassle. The tour is a great option for those who don’t wish to spend their time and energy finding out and booking the schedules of transportation of different companies. You can book the pre-designed tour from here.
For those of you who are in to take up the little extra hassle to save the extra bucks you can create the Norway in a Nutshell tour on your own. This would not only save you the money but also puts together a trip that suites your pace, interests, comfort and priorities.
For a complete guide to DIY Norway in a Nutshell tour click here.